- To connect to Xero
- To import your data
- Types of data
- To remove the connection to Xero
- Troubleshooting - Data not importing
You can bring data directly into Spotlight from Xero. When you import data from Xero for the first time, you must set up the connection and authorise Spotlight to connect to your data. This is an easy process and normally only needs to be done once. In the following months, you can simply import the updated data.
When you import data from Xero for the first time, you must set up the connection and authorise Spotlight to connect to your data. This is an easy process and normally only needs to be done once. In the following months, you can simply import the updated data.
- From the Import tab, click Xero. Alternatively, if you've already added another data source, from the Data Source drop-down list choose Xero.
- A message appears to prompt you to connect to Xero. Click Continue.
- If required, enter your Xero login details then click Login.
Note: If you're already logged in to Xero, the login window may not appear and you can continue to the next step.
- Choose the organisation you want to connect to, then click Allow Access.
Once the authorisation is complete, you are redirected back to Spotlight and can now import your data.
- From the Import tab, select the check boxes for any actual, budget or tracking data you want to import.
- For each item, enter the date range you want to import.
Note: The first time you import, this should include any history you want to bring into Spotlight. You can import the current financial year, and up to three previous years. After the first import, you need only import the date range which has been updated in Xero.
- To continue, click Import.
The first time you import, the process may take a few minutes. In subsequent imports, to speed up the process you can bring in only the updated. If you reimport data for a range you've already imported, the new data replaces the old information.
You can import the following types of data into Spotlight:
- Actuals - Monthly accrual and cash information from Xero. You can import the current financial year, and the three previous financial years.
- Budgets - The budget information held in Xero.
Note: You can currently import only the Overall Budget into Spotlight. Tracking budgets aren't currently made available to add-ons through the Xero API.
- Tracking - Tracked actual and cash data for the two tracking categories available in Xero. If you import this information, you'll be able to use this to filter your reports and charts - for example to show a chart for a single department.
To disconnect from Xero
Note: This process does not remove the data from within Spotlight. Instead, it removes the authorisation to connect to Xero. If you import data again within Spotlight, you'll be prompted for your login details. If you'd like to remove the data from Spotlight, please refer to the next section.
- Log into the organisation in Xero.
- Click on Settings and General Settings
- Select Add-ons from the Connect section
- Click the Disconnect button for each instance of Spotlight you see
To remove the data from Spotlight
Note: This permanently removes the Xero data from Spotlight, along with any report code or Spotlight Display Name changes you've previously made.
- Open Spotlight and access the required organisation.
- From the Import tab, click the Xero data source then click Remove Account.
- To remove the data, click Delete.
If your data doesn't import as expected, there are a few areas to check:
- Lock Date (does not apply to Spotlight Forecasting) - In the Customise Data tab, check the cells for the period you're importing. If a lock icon appears against the cells, you must change the lock date for the organisation, then try the import again. You can do this from Organisation Settings.
- Access Rights - In order to import data, you must have at least the 'Standard with reports' or 'Advisor' user role in Xero.
- Amount of data - If you're importing for a large data set, try importing for a smaller period of time, for example two months. If this works, continue importing your data in small increments.
If the import still fails, please contact us. Please include the text of any error message that appears, and the results of the above checks.